Wednesday, April 14, 2010

One down...

Has it already been a week and a half? I can hardly believe it. The time seems to be flying by.

I suppose keeping busy helps. So much has happened, but I'm having trouble organizing it all into coherence. I'm getting used to being in charge of the things that he used to be in charge of, paying bills, putting gas in the car, and even being social. When he was home we would always be on his schedule and go where he would go with the people he wanted to be with. Now it's up to me, the introvert, to make sure our household doesn't become a hermitage. I think I'm managing it... with a little effort.

Elijah and I are putting together a care package to send to daddy. Every month here on base they have a "Care Package Day" on which you can send a special military flat-rate box overseas for free. This month it's on the 20th. So we've got to make some special things to send so that he knows how much we love and miss him. Elijah is going to send a "high five" (I'm going to trace his hand on a piece of paper.) I'm sending a card with a note inside. There will be some practical things in it, too, like trail mix, baby wipes, perhaps some razors and mouthwash. If anyone has a good idea for something to send let me know! I need all the advice I can get.

My husband's birthday is coming up soon, too. Someone kindly brought to my attention an online Cakery that will ship cakes directly to our servicemen overseas! So I'm going to send him a birthday cake! Here's the one I plan on sending. I think he'll like the coffee cake: Birthday Cake

Speaking of birthdays, Elijah's birthday is also coming up soon. As The Lord would have it, Elijah's birthday is the day after his daddy's. In the future we hope to be able to throw combined parties for them, or we can choose to have separate parties. It's a nice arrangement. This year they won't get to be together. We'll have to plan something to make it special anyway.

I get to arrange Elijah's first birthday party all by myself. Part of me wants to go WAY overboard, invite every family we know, hire a clown, rent a bouncy house and all that good stuff. But part of me also wants to just have two or three friends over, a few cupcakes, sing "happy birthday" and have that be it.

We'll see what happens I guess!

1 comment:

  1. You sound like you're doing a great job! What cool idea with the birthday cake!! Can you believe our babies are gonna be one!? WHOA! =)

    ReplyDelete