Saturday, April 24, 2010

Moving Right Along

It feels like nothing is happening, so it's easy to procrastinate with updates. I keep telling myself I'll write something when something interesting happens. But I still keep putting it off. So here I go, forcing myself to write.

Many a spouse of a deployed sailor/marine/soldier gets requests for things to send. "I need some new razors," one might say, "Send me some books to read," another will plead "I've really been craving some beef jerky," is heard a lot.

My husband, in his first email to me, asked for a popcorn popper. It sounds weird, but it gets weirder. He wants me to send him a huge, expensive, theater-style, electric popcorn popper so he can make very large quantities of popcorn. The reason (in case you're starting to think my husband is a lunatic) is that he wants to show movies for his marines on occasion and having a popcorn popper would be a good morale booster. Before he left he packed up all his favorite kung fu and action DVDs to take with him and bought about ten on iTunes to have on his hard drive. So he's got a nice library to choose from. I think he might have access to a projector and speakers also. All that's missing is the popcorn.

So he writes to me asking if I can buy and ship him one of those big poppers like you see at the carnival or in Target. How can I say no?

I start aGoogling and find one for the relatively cheap price of $200. Another $60 for a couple cases of popcorn and oil. The only problem is nowhere can I find a place that will ship to an FPO address. (That's the kind of address military folk get when they are sent overseas on deployment.) So I had to send it all to myself first.

So now I'm sitting here with a very large box (the machine) and two smaller-but-still-heavy boxes (the popcorn) sitting in my entryway and I'm thinking... I need to make sure this thing works!

To be continued...

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha....that's incredible! What a cool idea on his part! And what a lot of hard work on yours. =)

    ReplyDelete