Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Free Video Chat and a City Kitty

I ended up mostly doing chores today. It started out being pretty boring and I'm sure you all don't want to read about laundry and shopping so I won't write about all that stuff.

But at around two in the afternoon my computer started ringing. I'll say that again; my computer started ringing!

Before my husband left we agreed to download a program called Skype which allows you to have free computer-to-computer video conversations. I had never used it before but I downloaded it and got my account set up and encouraged my husband to do the same. Then today (about 3:00 am for him) he decided to give me a call, and my computer started ringing...

I came to figure out what was going on. It all seemed so confusing and I wasn't sure what button to push to do what, but eventually we got it all figured out and were able to see each other and have a real conversation.

He asked how Elijah was doing and if he was walking yet (he's not), I asked if he was enjoying himself over there in whichever of those "-stan" countries he was in. He noticed some slight alteration in the room I was sitting in and told me to give the baby a big hug from daddy.

Then Alice came around the corner.

I must note that at this point my husband had no idea that I had adopted a cat. He doesn't read this blog, though he knows it's here, and hasn't been checking Facebook much. I hadn't volunteered the information to him either. If he had asked I wouldn't have lied, but I was counting on him not to ask and be surprised when he got home.

But then Alice came around the corner.

"What is that?" My husband asked, shock (but thankfully not anger) written all over his face.

"Bryan..." I picked up the cat. "Say hello to Alice."

Alice purred almost loud enough to be heard 7000 miles away.

"You got a cat?!?!" And then he started laughing.

I assured him that she was the sweetest ball of warm fur in the world and that Elijah already loved her.

And, after all, it's not like there was anything he could do about it...

Speaking of Alice I'm working on a special trick with her. You know how the worst part about having an indoor cat is the litter pan? Well, I'm going to get rid of it altogether.

I'm going to toilet train my cat!

That's right. We're working on a very gradual process of toilet training, and at the end of it all I hope to never have to buy or scoop cat litter again. It should all last about two weeks, but they say it all depends on the cat so we'll see. I'll keep this blog updated on how it's all going.

I've ordered a CitiKitty toilet training kit which should get here soon. But we've already begun the process.

Toilet training your cat:

Step 1. Move litter box into bathroom next to the toilet. Keep the lid of the toilet open at all times. Put only a small amount of flushable litter  in box. Complete!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I tried toilet training Kitty Chesney when he was younger! I was just telling Kristina about this too. I gave up after he decided no poopy in the toilet, but poopy in the corner of the bathroom instead! Yuck. That's just not acceptable! LOL I have been tempted to give the training another try. Instead of the kit, I used one of those aluminum back pans and the pellet litter. Check out my FB pics...he's on there somewhere peeing in the toilet! haha Keep us posted on Alice's progress!

    ReplyDelete